The following nutritional losses are due to malabsorption because H2 receptor antagonists and proton pump inhibitors (the ulcer and gerd medications) inhibit acid production in the stomach.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency causes anemia, neuropathy, high homocysteine levels and cardiovascular risk
- Folic Acid deficiency causes birth defects, cervical dysplasia, anemia, high homocysteine levels and cardiovascular risk
- Vitamin D deficiency causes calcium loss, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, hearing loss
- Calcium deficiency causes osteoporosis, heart and blood pressure irregularities, tooth decay
- Iron malabsorption causes anemia, fatigue, hair loss, brittle nails, weakness and lethargy
- Zinc deficiency weakens immune function, skin wounds don’t heal, chronic infections, changes in sense of taste and smell, sexual organs dysfunction in both sexes
- Protein absorption is impaired by low stomach HCl acid